Academically Talented Program
The philosophy of the Academically Talented program in the Manalapan-Englishtown Regional Schools focuses on providing students who demonstrate high levels of academic ability with a challenging and engaging learning environment.
- Personalized learning through WIN period ("What I need")
- Differentiated instruction
- Data-driven groupings in grades K-5
- Accelerated/advanced courses in grades 6-8
- Pull-out Enrichment program in grades K-5 at all schools
- Two district Enrichment teachers
- 30-40 minute period during WIN ("What I Need"), during the 6-day cycle
- Small group- Project-based learning
- Activities will be Language Arts and/or Mathematics-based
- Extension opportunities
- Students may qualify for one or both subjects.
- Students will not miss any academic subjects.
- 2 Semesters based on school-wide data
- If your child qualifies, you will receive a letter/email with more information.
- Kindergarten groups begin after the mid-year assessments.
- Integration of competitions/contests in grades K-5 at all schools
- Continental Math League, Spelling Bee, CML: Language Arts and Geography (pending grade level and availability)
- Related arts opportunities (pending individual building schedules)
- Summer School Enrichment program * Will be emailed/posted in May
Selection Procedures: Students may be identified by the following criteria:
- District Benchmark testing: DRA levels, Writing samples, LinkIt scores, Achieve 3000-Lexile Level, Mathematics Benchmark scores, Dibels, etc.
- Grade 3: InView scores
- NJSLA scores
- *All updated criteria will be posted on this website before each cycle
CLICK HERE for Criteria for Pull-out Enrichment program by school *Will be updated 10/2023
CLICK HERE for The Continuum of Services for Gifted and Talented Students in grades K-8
CLICK HERE for Links to G&T websites and Student Enrichment websites
CLICK HERE for Programs and Criteria in grades 6-8 at Pine Brook and MEMS
CLICK HERE for Teacher and Supervisor contact information
Contests and Competitions:
CLICK HERE for contest examples- CML
CLICK HERE for the Annual NJAGC Art, Writing, Video, & Music Contest *Will be updated in October
For questions related to the program, please CLICK HERE for the Enrichment Handbook- Grades K-5 or contact:
MERS District Appeal Policy- Parents, guardians, and/or students may appeal any final decision regarding selection or removal from the gifted program. Appeals shall first be sent to Ms. Lindsay Singer, Supervisor of Gifted and Talented, at email@example.com
- Lindsay Singer: Assistant Principal at Lafayette Mills School and Academically Talented Supervisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sharon Hanson: District Enrichment Teacher at Clark Mills, Milford Brook, and Taylor Mills Schools: email@example.com
- Jessica Britton District Enrichment Teacher at ELC, Lafayette Mills, and Wemrock Brook Schools: firstname.lastname@example.org
within 15 working days of receiving notification of the selection decision or the removal decision. Ms. Singer will respond to the appeal no later than 15 working days after receipt of the appeal letter. Please note, that there may be a request for additional testing, data collection, and/or an interview with the student, current teacher, and/or parents.
In accordance with Policy 2464, an individual who believes that the district has not complied with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 18A:35-34 et seq. may file a complaint with the Board of Education. The Board shall issue a decision, in writing, to affirm, reject, or modify the district’s action in the matter. The individual may then file a petition of appeal of the Board’s written decision to the Commissioner of Education through the Office of Controversies and Disputes in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:6-9 and the procedures set forth in State Board of Education regulations. Policy 2464