School Closings and Inclement Weather Information for 18-19
In the event schools are to be closed or the day is abbreviated due to inclement weather, please be aware of the following. Please do not call the school since all phone lines should be used for emergency purposes only. Thank you for your consideration.
School Emergency Announcements: 732-786-2555
District Web Site: www.mersnj.us
Television Stations: NEWS 12 NEW JERSEY, Channels 4, 5 & 7
District Phone Chain: Parents will be notified about school closings through our District’s Phone Chain. Messages will be left for all parents on their emergency number identified in Genesis.
MILFORD BROOK Before Care:
- If the school is closed for inclementweather, there is NO Before Care.
- If the school has a delayed opening, then the Milford Brook Before Care Program will open at 9:30 AM.
- All children will be dropped off at the front entrance of the building. Please ring the “night” bell. Parents/Guardians must enter the building and sign their children in to Before Care. The district will, to the best of its ability, attempt to clear the driveway and the walkway to the front entrance before the 9:30 AM opening of the program.
- If it becomes apparent that the district is unable to meet its obligation to clean the driveway and walkway of snow, the decision to open the Milford Brook Before Care Program will be re-evaluated and, at some point, this procedure might be changed.
- If school has an early unscheduled dismissal due to inclement weather, please check with your individual after-care provider for their procedures. Please make certain that your child’s school and your child are aware of alternate arrangements for early dismissal.
Before School Activities:
- In the event of a delayed opening, all before school extracurricular activities (e.g., Coding Club, Band, Orchestra, Homework Club, Chorus) are canceled.
- In the event of a delayed opening, Before School RTI/FastForword will still occur. Student drop off (when there is a delayed opening) for these academic support groups is at 9:50 AM.
On rare occasions children will be bused home early to avoid hazardous traffic conditions, unexpected storms, or for other unexpected emergencies. All parents will be contacted through the District’s Phone Chain in these situations. If you are aware of such conditions and have not received a call, please reference one of the options above. Please remember that road conditions and visibility are the major factors in the decision making, more so than the number of inches of snow. Therefore, you should check a closing “site” at the slightest sign of snow or freezing weather.
It is important that from the first day of school that you have an emergency plan developed with your child in the instance of an early school closing. Please also make sure that your child is familiar with your procedures for days with an early closing.
Consistent with the district’s policy for regular length school days, on emergent/inclement weather early dismissal days, STUDENTS IN KINDERGARTEN WILL NOT BE DROPPED OFF AT THEIR REGULAR BUS STOP UNLESS A PARENT/GUARDIAN OR AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE IS PRESENT. STUDENTS IN GRADES 1-5 WILL BE DROPPED OFF AT THEIR REGULAR BUS STOPS WHETHER OR NOT AN ADULT IS PRESENT. Please review the school calendar carefully for scheduled early dismissal days (noted as 4-hour days), and be sure to keep informed about emergent/inclement weather dismissals. If you do not want your child to take the bus on early dismissal days, you must send a note to your child’s teacher, and the student will be held to be picked up. In emergencies, please call the school at 732-786-2780.
Regular Schedule Delayed Opening (90 Minutes) 4-Hour Day
Unload Depart Unload Depart Unload Depart
9:20 3:40 10:50 3:40 9:20 1:20 (approx.)
Please post this information where you have access to it throughout the school year.