Information About District Attendance Policy - IMPORTANT
Just an important reminder regarding important procedures for when your child is absent ---
In the event of an absence, please remember to call the attendance line that morning/day to inform the nurse of your child's absence along with the reason behind it. You can do so by calling 732-786-2780 (then hit prompt 2).
We also encourage you to take advantage of a new way to document your child's absence. New for the 2019-2020 school year, parents are able to notify the attendance office of a student absence from the Genesis parent portal. Please review these instructions and log onto the parent portal.
Please remember that for the first five absences, a phone call to the nurse, note in Genesis, parent note or doctor's note will suffice to document the absence as Unexcused-Non-Truant.
However, any absence after five absences does require a doctor's note or will be considered Unexcused-Truant.
Administrators in every school in our district will take the actions listed at each attendance threshold noted below:
- Five (5) Unexcused Absences of ANY KIND: A letter will be mailed home alerting the parent/guardian that the student has reached this threshold. The letter will also be placed in the child’s cumulative folder.
- Five (5) Unexcused: Truant Absences: A letter will be mailed home and placed in the student’s cumulative file. Administration may request a parent meeting/phone conference to develop a collaborative attendance improvement plan. This letter will also serve as a warning for the action to take place if the student reaches 10 Unexcused: Truant absences.
- Ten (10) Unexcused Absences of ANY KIND: A letter will be mailed home alerting the parent/guardian that the student has reached this threshold. The letter will also be placed in the child’s cumulative folder.
- Ten (10) Unexcused: Truant Absences: A truancy referral will be made to the district attendance officer at whose discretion a court referral will be made. A letter indicating this will be mailed home and placed in the student’s cumulative file. The district attendance officer may also contact the parents/guardians for a meeting.
- Fifteen (15) Unexcused Absences of ANY KIND: A letter will be mailed home and placed in the student’s cumulative file. This letter will serve as initial notification that an attendance review committee will convene at the end of the year to determine whether or not the student will be retained or promoted.
- Eighteen (18) Absences of ANY KIND: Your child will be identified by the State of New Jersey as a “chronically absent” student. The attendance review committee will automatically recommend the following: Students will be required to attend the district summer program with 90% attendance in order to be considered for promotion to the next grade level.
Please be advised that family trips or vacations are considered Unexcused-Truant.
Just a reminder that if your child is late or tardy, you will receive an automated phone call from the school at approximately 10:50 AM on that day notifying you of such.
A child is considered tardy after arriving at school at 9:30 AM.
We look forward to a great year, and we appreciate your support and cooperation.