One School, One Book Begins March 4th!
We are so excited to participate in the One School, One Book initiative again this year! Our journey begins on Monday, March 4, 2019 when we meet Red and his friends. Together, they will learn how to come together as a community to celebrate diversity and welcome people who are different from them.
Using a school-wide reading schedule, students and their families will be able to participate in activities that foster meaningful reading discussions. A list of discussion starters for you to use at home will also be posted on the WB website.
How this program works:
- This is a home-based (optional) read along. Parents will read sections of the book aloud to their children at home.
- The assigned pages for each night’s reading will be sent home on March 1st. They will also be posted on the school’s website.
- Thought-provoking discussion starters will be provided for you to use at home.
- In school:
- Daily trivia questions will be read on WB TV! Students will have an opportunity to write their answers and submit them for a raffle.
- Mystery readers will share daily excerpts of each night’s reading during morning announcements.
- Discussion questions for the students will be posed during morning announcements; and classroom teachers will provide students the opportunity to share their thoughts.
- Fun activities to celebrate reading will be designed.
- Participating students will be recognized.
- This will count towards your child’s daily reading log.
Most of all, we want to encourage all families to participate. You may use the One School, One Book Order Form in the WB Backpack to order a book through the PTA. Because this is a family read aloud, you would only need one book per household to participate. This book is also available on Kindle, at all book stores, Amazon, and at the Monmouth County Library.